“The Bible is alive; it speaks to me. It has feet; it runs after me. It has hands; it lays hold of me.”
— Martin Luther
“We owe to Scripture the same reverence that we owe to God.” — John Calvin
My proposition: This man is truly blessed because he delights in God’s Word & allows it to guide him in all areas of life!
1 Corinthians 10:31
“It is this Psalmists intention to teach us the way to blessedness.” — C.H.Spurgeon
1. The Blessed Man Reads, Ps. 1:2
1 Timothy 4.7
2 Timothy 3.16-17
2. The Blessed Man Meditates, Ps. 1:2
a) Ask Questions of the Text
• What does this text tell me about God / Jesus / Me?
• What would this text have meant to original hearers?
• Is there an example for me to follow here?
• Is there a promise here for me to delight in?
b) Memorise Specific Verses
Psalm 119:11 – ‘For I have hidden your word in my heart…’
c) Make Prayer a Part of your Meditation.
Psalm 119:8 – ‘Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law’
3. The Blessed Man Applies, Ps. 1:3
We must both read and heed His Word.
This man is truly blessed because he delights in God’s Word & allows it to guide him in all areas of life!